The White House has condemned former President Donald Trump for calling for the “termination” of the US Constitution.
Mr. Trump made the remarks in a post to his Truth social network on Saturday, while repeating his false claim that he won the 2020 presidential election.
He also accused “big tech companies” of conspiring with Democrats against him.
Mr. Trump’s remarks, according to White House spokesman Andrew Bates, are “anathema to the soul of our nation.”
Also Read: Musk says Twitter feud with Apple boss ‘resolved’
“You can’t only love America when you win,” Mr. Bates said in a statement.
He went on to say that Mr. Trump’s comments should be “universally condemned,” a clear dig at senior Republicans who have so far avoided criticizing the former president’s outburst.
Other senior Democrats challenged Republicans, including Rep. Eric Swalwell, who questioned how the party’s members could continue to refer to themselves as “Constitutional conservatives” if they did not condemn the comments.
In the post, Mr. Trump made vague allegations of “massive and widespread fraud and deception” and asked whether he should be immediately returned to power.
“A massive fraud of this magnitude allows for the repeal of all rules, regulations, and articles, including those found in the Constitution.” False and fraudulent elections were not desired or tolerated by our great “founders,” he stated.
The post came just hours after Twitter’s internal deliberations about limiting a 2020 story about Hunter Biden were revealed.
The New York Post published the story, which revealed President Joe Biden’s youngest son’s chaotic personal life and business dealings, just weeks before the 2020 presidential election.
Also Read: The mysteries surrounding the murders of Idaho students
Twitter initially blocked the story due to a company policy on hacked and stolen materials, and the leaked emails revealed confusion and disagreements among staff as they scrambled to respond.
The files, which the BBC cannot verify, were shared on Twitter by Substack writer Matt Taibbi on Friday night.
However, Twitter founder Elon Musk hinted last week that the information would be released, writing on the platform, “This is necessary to restore public trust.”
In a Twitter Spaces live stream on Saturday, the billionaire defended his decision, but he admitted it may pose a “legal risk.”
“We’re just going to put all of the information out there and try to get a clean slate,” Mr. Musk said. He added that legal risks were “less of a concern than simply clearing the air and ensuring that people know what really happened.”
Mr. Trump announced his third presidential bid last month and is considered the Republican frontrunner in 2024.
However, he has come under fire this week after dining with a known white nationalist and Holocaust denier at his Florida home.
Mr. Trump stated that he was unaware that the man would be present and that he had accompanied the rapper Kanye West, who earlier this week expressed admiration for Adolf Hitler and has been accused of a number of antisemitic remarks.